Looking to know how much is sewing cost?
You’re in the right place!
This article will explain or discuss:
- What is the average price for a sewing machine?
- Different types of sewing machines and their prices
- And much more !
Ready? Let’s get started!
What Is The Average Price For A Sewing Machine?
Sewing machines are found to occur in wide range of prices depending upon their features, brand, quality and durability. If we take for example a basic mechanical sewing machine it may cost something around $ 100, while an automated computerized machine may cost many 1000 dollars.
Price Ranges Of Different Types Of Sewing Machines
Sewing machines can be of various types namely the mechanical ones, the computerized ones and many other variations and hence according to their function and importance the price of each sewing machine differs variably.
1. Mechanical Sewing Machines
Mechanical Sewing machines are the most primitive and the basic kind of sewing machines, which are operated manually with the help of knobs and levers.
Here are some of the types of mechanical Sewing Machines and their price differentiations —
- Straight Stitch Sewing Machine – The most affordable and basic range of sewing machines found in most tailoring shops used for straight stiching and are mostly assumed to cost between 70 to 200 dollars.
- Zigzag Sewing Machines – Capable of making accurate zigzag as well as straight stitches and is mostly eqquiped with some other additional stitch patterns. They range from $100 to $400 in price.
- Heavy Duty Sewing Machines – Designed specially for stitching heavy fabrics such as leather or maybe denim and are equipped powerful motors and sturdy frames and can cost up to $150 to $500 depending on the branding and style.
- Portable Sewing Machines – As the name suggest these sewing machines can be easily carried anywhere due to their lightweight design and compact size although these come with fewer features and hence may cost between $70 – $200.
2. Computerized Sewing Machines
These machines have high futuristic characteristics such as LCD, automatic tension control, touchscreen operations and built in stitch patterns, some of the computerized sewing machines also come with memory storage and cost around $500 to $2000.
There are few different types of computerized sewing machines differentiated according to your experience level —
- Entry-level computerized sewing machines – Appropriate for beginner and home users who wants to form simple tasks such as hemming, buttonholes and basic embroidery. These machines range from $200 to $500.
- Mid-range computerized sewing machines – Added up with more features than an entry-level computerized sewing machines these machines cost up to $500 to $1500 and supports wider range of stitch patterns, automatic thread cutters and LCD screens. Appropriate for more complex sewing tasks.
- High-end computerized sewing machines – Offering a wide range of sewing features like touch screens, programmable stitch sequences and many other features including advanced embroidery stitch capabilities and hence are suitable for advanced users, professionals and for industrial use.
Their cost may vary from $1500 to $10000.
2. Embroidery Sewing Machines
These machines are fitted with large embroidery hoop, built in embroidery designs, and are suitable for high-level embroidery work. Their cost may vary from $500 to $4000 and may even vary depending upon the brand and embroidery hoop.
Here are few differentiations of an embroidery sewing machine depending upon the use and experiance level —
- Entry-level Embroidery Sewing machines – Designed in an user-friendly way specially for beginners with limited features and embroidery designs. They may cost something around $300 to $800.
- Mid-range Embroidery machines – These machines offer some more features than the entry-level machines with a larger embroidery hoop and more designs. They may cost something around $1000 to $3000.
- High-End Embroidery Machines – Added with advanced features which allows computer connectivity for creating custom designs and downloading them and an adjustable enbroidery hoop. These machines cost between $3000 to $10000.
3. Serger Sewing Machines
These machines are used to make clean edges and hems on fabrics, there are many types of Serger Sewing machines differentiated in accordance to their functions and features —
- Basic Serger Sewing Machines – Absolutely built up for the beginners with 3-4 threads and basic features such as adjustable stitch length and differential feed. User-friendly and extremely easy to use features.
The price of a basic serger machines may range from $200 to $500.
- Combination Serger Sewing Machines – A combination of a normal sewing machine and a serger machines which makes them an extremely versatile option. Combined with 4-5 threads and features like adjustable stitch length and width, differential feed and automatic thread tension. The price for an combination serger sewing machine is between $500 to $1500.
- Professional Serger Sewing Machines – Designed for industrial use and for heavy-duty projects, added with 4-5 threads and equipped with advance features such as automatic needle threading, color coded threading and adjustable presser foot pressure. Price range from $1500 to $5000 or more.
4. Quilting Sewing Machines
There are different types of quilting sewing machines in the market depending upon their uses, features and user experiance ranging from various price points.
- Mechanical Quilting Sewing Machines – Perfect choice for beginner with basic features and functionality. Their price ranges from between $100 to $400.
- Computerized Quilting Sewing Machines – Adapted with all advanced features and technology like automatic needle threading, stitch lenght and width adjustment and LCD screens for easy navigation. They may range for $400 to $2000 in price.
- Embroidery Quilting Sewing Machines – Specially designed for both quilting and embroidery purposes, equipped with many functions such as wide range of built in embroidery designs, automatic thread cutters. There price may vary between $500 to $5000.
- Long-arm quilting sewing machines – Used for large quilting projects, majorly industrial for stitching quilts and blankets, gives a higher stitching speed than other quilting machines. There price ranges from $3000 to $10000.
It is important to note that all the prices for different types of sewing machines mentioned above may vary according to the brand and additional features and models.
Price Ranges According to Brands
There are many popular sewing machine brands in the market starting from the oldest to the rising ones and each have varied price ranges, while buying a sewing machine you can also try deciding your budget according to the well-known brands in the market —
- Singer – It is an American manufacturing unit and one of the most popular sewing machine brand building domestic sewing machines since the year 1851. They offer many types of sewing machines appropriate for all purposes, and are also budget friendly. Their sewing machine ranges between $100 to $1000 mostly but new futuristic models can be a little high priced.
- Brother – This is another very well-known and popular sewing machine brand producing both budget friendly and feature rich machines. They have a price range starting from $800 which may go upto $10000 or more according to the new models and added features.
- Janome – It is a Japanese Sewing machine producer which offers a high range of premium quality machines with all the hitech features.
They have machines starting from $300 to $10000 or more.
- Juki – This brand mostly offer sewing machines for industrial use but also deals in machines built for home use, it is japanese brand and offers premium quality and highly durable machines. Their price may vary from $150 to $5000.
- Bernina – This Swiss brand is known to produce durable sewing machines inbuilt with advanced technologies and functions. This brand offers highly premium machines starting from $1000 and may end at around $5000 or more depending upon the additional features.
- Pfaff – Pfaff is a well-known German brand popular for producing very costly and highly functinal and feature rich sewing machines, their machines are extremely durable and come eqquiped with advanced technologies.
They offer a price range of around $500 to $10000.
In the conclusion, the price of a Sewing Machine can highly vary according to the brand, features and model. Some basic mechanical sewing machine used for simple household purposes can even be as cheap as $100 while the advanced highly equipped or the computerized sewing machines can even be as costly as more than a thousand dollars.
It is very important to do a proper research before buying a sewing machine and choose one depending upon your need, the machines durability and the features you are getting with it.
Moreover, you should invest in the versatile machines which serve many functions in one place and is also durable and well built which will be efficient in the long run.
Ultimately, a sewing machine is a worthwhile investment for those who enjoy sewing and want to create their own clothing, designs or start a textile business.